Thursday, October 3, 2013

Two Nuns And A Mom

Mother Teresa religious medals
Mother Teresa Religious Medals

By chance, I happened upon two nuns from the Missionaries of Charity – Mother Teresa nuns - as I left the hospital parking lot to go comfort my sick Mom.  I rushed toward the nuns, amazed at the miracle of seeing them in Chicago’s West Loop Medical District.

My eyes were popped wide open.

I explained that the doctors and nurses at the research hospital urgently needed prayer. They seemed all too focused on dying and not providing full medical management of my mother’s acute medical condition.

Prepared!


I explained that many of my mother’s healthcare providers didn’t understand that my Mom, like all Christians, has been prepared to die since the day she committed her life and soul to our Savior Jesus Christ when she was a little girl.

Many of the doctors, nurses and technicians had never read Romans 6:8 in the Bible which states:

“Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:”

Many of my Mom’s healthcare providers had not read God’s Commandment in Exodus 20:12 from the Bible, which states:

“Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.”

I explained that all we wanted was the honor of management - full medical care - of my mother’s acute medical condition so that she would not suffer. (Mind you, my mother had a complete health insurance package while being treated at  a government facility!)
 

The two nuns said that they would pray for the doctors, nurses and technicians at the university hospital. I gave the nuns a donation and they gave me the religious medals shown in the above photograph.

Lost and Then Found!


The next day was the beginning of a visible improvement in my mother’s medical care during her final days. The attitudes of her healthcare providers seemed visibly more attentive and respectful, replacing the previously cavalier ‘what’s the point’ hopelessness.

Ohhh…I forgot to mention: The two Mother Teresa nuns were lost!!!  They were trying to find the L train station to ride downtown to a conference. I directed the nuns to turnaround, walk back down the street and then turn right at the stop sign to get on the train. 

Please support Easter Seals' efforts to educate physicians to recognize elderly American citizens suffering from Post Polio Syndrome. Please support Bill and Melissa Gates' efforts to eradicate poliomyelitis in improvished nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ADVICE, INPUT??