Monday, August 6, 2012

DO YOU KNOW YOUR JEWELRY’S MISSING?

I found out that my faceted carved tiger’s eye bead necklace was missing when a person walked into my home wearing my necklace.  
 “Hey” I said, “Isn’t that my necklace?” I squinted for a close examination.
 “No”, she replied sweetly, “My…gave me this… blah, blah, blah!”
Yeah, he in fact did give it to her: After he stole it from my bedroom.

THE JEWEL THIEF YOU KNOW

The necklace was inexpensive. I just liked the unusually and dramatically faceted beads. But now I know who I’m dealing with and who is really coming into my home.
When it comes to jewelry thefts, you may have more to worry about from a crooked individual you invite into your home for business or entertaining purposes than a burglar.

Recent JEWELRY THEFTS IN THE news

  • The cable guy stole all of the fine jewelry from an armoire in a Chesterfield, Michigan (Detroit) home.
  • A Hilton Head, SC real estate agent is accused of stealing jewelry from numerous homes.
  • Paula Deen’s trusted housekeeper stole over $100,000 of Deen’s jewelry in small increments.

RULES TO AVOID JEWELRY  LOSSES

  • Keep an wary eye on individuals who always innocently borrow books, cosmetics, tools, etc without asking because they "know" you aren't using the items.  They graduate to fine jewelry!
  • Don’t keep lots of earrings, rings, necklaces and bracelets on display in your bedroom for your convenience. It’s just too convenient for a visitor to pick-up an item without you missing it.
  • Jewelry armoires really grab a thief’s attention.
  • Check yourself and stop taking off earrings in rooms where visitors would commonly have access to, like the kitchen, dining room, bathroom and family room.
  • Don’t allow guests or workers unaccompanied access throughout your home.
  • A home safe or strong box is a sensible investment for expensive gold jewelry or cherished fashion baubles you wear all of the time.
  • A bank safety deposit box is a must for diamonds or sentimental jewelry you just don't wear anymore.
  • Get a jewelry rider on your homeowners’ insurance policy.
  • Keep the jewelry rider updated!
Pat Thomas for Jewelrystash until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment

ADVICE, INPUT??